Are your students learning about the impact of earthquakes? Use a case study on the Great Alaskan Earthquake of 1864 to teach about the impact of earthquakes. Students will use primary source photographs, informational text, and a video to learn about the impact of earthquakes on Alaska and the surrounding region.
This lesson focuses on the skill of image analysis. Students will be given images to analyze the earthquake. After analyzing the images, they will read more information about the Great Alaskan Earthquake in 1964 and answer comprehension questions.
– two different handouts on analyzing images
– a one page reading on the Great Alaskan Earthquake of 1964
– vocabulary, comprehension and inference questions
– images of the earthquake to analyze
– link to a video about earthquakes and the Great Alaskan Earthquake of 1964
– questions and quote analysis to process the activity
⭐Please download the preview to see a portion of the resource. ⭐
(5) Geography. The student understands the impact of interactions between people and the physical environment on the development and conditions of places and regions. The student is expected to:
(A) describe ways people have been impacted by physical processes such as earthquakes and climate;
(21) Social studies skills. The student applies critical-thinking skills to organize and use information acquired through established research methodologies from a variety of valid sources, including electronic technology. The student is expected to:
(A) differentiate between, locate, and use valid primary and secondary sources such as computer software; interviews; biographies; oral, print, and visual material; and artifacts to acquire information about various world cultures;
(B) analyze information by sequencing, categorizing, identifying cause-and-effect relationships, comparing, contrasting, finding the main idea, summarizing, making generalizations and predictions, and drawing inferences and conclusions;
Please review all product descriptions and previews. If you have a question, contact me before you purchase at SocialStudiesSuccess1@gmail.com. As this is a digital product, all sales are final.