This lesson is designed for your students to analyze the importance of the 2008 Presidential election and the leadership qualities of Barack Obama. Your students will work in a group of three to research and then create a large character collage of Barack Obama on poster board. Don’t have time for a poster? There are also modifications for an individual assignment.
This resource is a comprehensive and interactive way to teach your students about Barack Obama and the Election of 2008. Featuring a lesson plan, word wall terms, a preview activity using primary source quotes, informational text, and a character collage project, this resource will engage and educate your students as they learn about the importance of the Election of 2008 and achievements of Barack Obama. Google Slides™ allows for even more flexibility in the classroom. The teacher checklist and rubric ensure that students are able to demonstrate their understanding of the material.
– A lesson plan that guides you through the activity,
– Word Wall Terms to teach vocabulary terms,
– Preview activity using primary source quotes,
– Informational text on Barack Obama and the Election of 2008,
– Step by step directions for your students to create a character collage (either in a group or independently),
– Teacher checklist and rubric for the Barack Obama character collage,
⭐Please download the previews to see more information on this resource. ⭐
5th Grade Social Studies TEKS
(5) History. The student understands important issues, events, and individuals in the United States during the 20th and 21st centuries. The student is expected to:
(B) analyze various issues and events of the 21st century such as the War on Terror and the 2008 presidential election;
(18) Citizenship. The student understands the importance of effective leadership in a constitutional republic. The student is expected to: (A) identify past and present leaders in the national government, including the president and various members of Congress, and their political parties; and (B) identify leadership qualities of national leaders, past and present.
(21) Culture. The student understands the contributions of people of various racial, ethnic, and religious groups to the United States culture. The student is expected to:
(B) summarize the contributions of people of various racial, ethnic, and religious groups to our national identity
(23) Social studies skills. The student applies critical-thinking skills to organize and use information acquired from a variety of valid sources, including technology. The student is expected to:
(A) differentiate between, locate, and use valid primary and secondary sources such as technology; interviews; biographies; oral, print, and visual material; documents; and artifacts to acquire information about the United States;
(B) analyze information by applying absolute and relative chronology through sequencing, categorizing, identifying cause-and-effect relationships, comparing, contrasting, finding the main idea, summarizing, making generalizations and predictions, and drawing inferences and conclusions;
(25) Social studies skills. The student communicates in written, oral, and visual forms. The student is expected to:
(A) use social studies terminology correctly;
(B) incorporate main and supporting ideas in verbal and written communication;
(D) create written and visual material such as journal entries, reports, graphic organizers, outlines, and bibliographies.
© Social Studies Success® This purchase is for you and your classroom. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system, or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden. Please have other teachers purchase their own copy. If you are a school or district interested in purchasing several licenses, please contact me for a district-wide quote. Do not share this document with Amazon Inspire.
Please review all product descriptions and previews. If you have a question, contact me before you purchase at SocialStudiesSuccess1@gmail.com. As this is a digital product, all sales are final.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.