Engage your students with activities and content readings on Reconstruction – all offered as an independent work packet or for Distance Learning with Google Slides. This resource is designed to give you a variety of choices for activities for your students. It includes a paper version and a 1:1 Google version to be used with Google Classroom. On the first page will be a link that will have you make a copy of the Google Doc, so be sure to be signed in to your Google account. You can then share directly with your students.
In this resource, students will learn about the political, social, and economic impact of Reconstruction with content area readings, summarize their learning in a variety of process activities, and analyze images and primary sources.
You will receive:
-A vocabulary activity – to introduce and practice key vocabulary terms.
-A song analysis to serve as a preview activity to the era.
– Readings for each of the topics – these are short “chunked” reading selections or key quotes to help your students understand each topic: Reconstruction, Presidential and Radical Reconstruction Plans, Reconstruction Amendments (13th Amendment, 14th Amendment, 15th Amendment), The Freedmen’s Bureau, Scalawags and Carpetbaggers, Sharecropping, and Reversing Reconstruction.
-Video clip links. Video clips and songs are accessed with embedded links.
–Image analysis with primary source political cartoons.
-Primary source analysis activities.
– Multiple processing activities – to keep students engaged with higher order thinking skills. These include: sensory figures, dialogues, and more!!
⭐Please download the preview for a sample of the activity. ⭐
❤️❤️❤️Do you want a fun way to review? Check out these BOOM Cards →
• Reconstruction BOOM CARDS for Distance Learning
2019 US History TEKS for 8th Grade
(9) History. The student understands the effects of Reconstruction on the political, economic, and social life of the nation. The student is expected to:
(A) evaluate legislative reform programs of the Radical Reconstruction Congress and reconstructed state governments;
(B) explain the impact of the election of African Americans from the South such as Hiram Rhodes Revels; and
(C) explain the economic, political, and social problems during Reconstruction and evaluate their impact on different groups.
(12) Economics. The student understands why various sections of the United States developed different patterns of economic activity through 1877. The student is expected to:
(A) identify economic differences among different regions of the United States;
(C) analyze the causes and effects of economic differences among different regions of the United States at selected times.
(16) Government. The student understands the purpose of changing the U.S. Constitution and the impact of amendments on American society. The student is expected to:
(B) describe the impact of the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments.
(22) Citizenship. The student understands the importance of effective leadership in a constitutional republic. The student is expected to:
(A) analyze the leadership qualities of elected and appointed leaders of the United States such as … Abraham Lincoln; and
(29) Social studies skills. The student applies critical-thinking skills to organize and use information acquired through established research methodologies from a variety of valid sources, including technology. The student is expected to:
(B) analyze information by applying absolute and relative chronology through sequencing, categorizing, identifying cause-and-effect relationships, comparing, contrasting, finding the main idea, summarizing, making generalizations and predictions, and drawing inferences and conclusions;
(C) organize and interpret information from outlines, reports, databases, and visuals, including graphs, charts, timelines, and maps;
(E) support a point of view on a social studies issue or event;
(G) create a visual representation of historical information such as thematic maps, graphs, and charts representing various aspects of the United States; and
Please review all product descriptions and previews. If you have a question, contact me before you purchase at SocialStudiesSuccess1@gmail.com. As this is a digital product, all sales are final.